Canada is helping out businesses that are still struggling in finding workers during the pandemic. And that is why they have announced a new temporary public policy.
“We have heard from employers who continue to face challenges recruiting and hiring the workers they need during the pandemic. At the same time, some visitors in Canada may be able to contribute their skills where there are labour shortages. The measures introduced today will now allow visitors to apply for work permits without having to leave the country first. This exemption from the normal temporary work permit requirements is aimed at removing barriers to create a more agile workforce that leverages visitors with the skills and experience to accelerate our economic recovery.”— The Honourable Marco E.L. Mendicino, P.C., M.P., Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
The new temporary public policy: Visitors are now allowed to apply for a work permit without having to leave Canada
Who are affected by this new policy?
Any visitor in Canada, including the following:
- super visa holders
- business visitors
- those who entered Canada through a Global Skills Strategy work permit exemption
Temporary residents can now take advantage of this new policy and offer their skills to the Canadian labor force.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- You must have a valid visitor status
- have been in Canada on August 24, 2020 and remained in Canada
- have a job offer
- submit an application for an employer-specific work permit that is supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or an LMIA-exempt offer of employment, no later than March 31, 2021
- meet all other standard admissibility criteria
This policy does not apply to:
- Foreign nationals who arrive in Canada as visitors after August 24, 2020, are not eligible under the public policy.
Prior to this temporary policy change, if you are applying as a temporary resident, you would usually need to apply for their initial work permit before coming to Canada.
And if you were already in Canada with visitor status when you are approved for a work permit, they you would need to leave Canada and return before the your work permit be issued to you.